7 THINGS TO DO IMMEDIATELY AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
A car accident is never planned, and whether you were run off the road, hit while driving through an intersection or rear-ended while stopped at a stop sign, it is important to know what to do following the incident.
- First and foremost, you should never leave the scene of an accident. You could incur criminal penalties for being a hit and run driver, especially if people were injured or killed in the accident.
- This leads to the next step, which is to seek medical attention if necessary. Check yourself and any passengers involved in the incident. If an injury was sustained, wait for the proper medical assistance to arrive.
- If there are physical injuries or property damage you should always call the police. A filed police report can help later down the road with legal proceedings.
- It is also important to exchange information with the other driver in the accident. Ask for the name, phone number, driver’s license and license plate numbers, address and insurance information. Be sure to be friendly and calm when interacting with the other driver. If available, also seek out any information from witnesses and what they saw.
- Document the incident and the scene. Take photos of any damage to your vehicle. This evidence can prove crucial later on, especially when compared to photos of your vehicle before the accident.
- It is important to inform your insurance company of the accident as soon as you can. File a claim and be honest about what took place and about any injuries sustained. Lying to your insurance company can result in denial of coverage for the incident.
- You should also document any steps taken regarding medical treatment. Keep track of any doctors, chiropractors, medical professionals, etc. that you receive treatment from, as well as any treatments or medications you receive. If possible, get copies of all medical bills and reports. These documents will serve as proof of medical expenses later.
You can also keep track of how the injuries from the accident altered your day-to-day activities. This can range from days missed at work to any daily activities you can no longer do. It is important to detail the changes in your daily life in order to prove your pain and suffering.
When it comes down to it, if anyone was injured during the car accident it is important to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A qualified attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve and help navigate legal proceedings while you recover.
The accident and injury lawyers at Nelson, Bryan & Cross represent clients in most areas including Motor Vehicle Accidents, Wrongful Death Cases, Personal Injury Actions, Social Security Disability, Defective Products, Insurance Disputes and Bad Faith, Fire Loss cases, Trucking Accidents, Worker’s Compensation, Drug Recalls, Employment Law and Property Damage Claims. Call 387-7777 for a free consultation.